In addition to the resources at the Gunnison Valley Hospital, there are a wide range of other health and wellness practitioners in the Gunnison Valley. In a community of people who like to be active outdoors, a lot of health and wellness practitioners support that level of outdoor activity and put us back together when we’re in need of that.
Find a Physician
Both ends of the Gunnison Valley have several primary care options for Gunnison Valley Residents. Gunnison Valley Health offers a search function to find a doctor based on specialty.Find a Doctor
Clinics Aside from the Hospital in the Gunnison Valley
Many of our local physicians have their own clinics, either individually or in collective practices.
- Crested Butte Ski Area Clinic – Moore Othopedics – 970-349-2677
- Crested Butte Medical Center (Base Area) – 970-349-0321
- Griggs Orthopedics – 970-964-8472
- Alpine Orthopaedics– 970-641-6788
- Gunnison Main Street Clinic – 970-641-5363
- Sopris Women’s Clinic – 970-349-0100
- Gunnison Family Health Family Medical Clinic – 970-641-8413
- Gunnison Valley Family Physicians – 970-641-0211
- Pinnacle Orthopedics and Sports Medicine – 970-672-1980
- Chamberland SportsMed – 970-641-4355
Alternative Caregivers and Other Services
Gunnison County Public Health
Poison Control: 800-222-1222
Suicide Prevention: 970-252-6220
Dispatch – After Hours: 970-641-8200, ext. 1
Clinic (Family Planning & Immunizations)
Gunnison Valley Hospital
711 N Taylor, Gunnison, CO 81230 (Located on the corner of W Denver & N Iowa St)
The Colorado Health Emergency Line for Public Information (COHELP) is a public support service sponsored by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment to keep you informed on current public health or bioterrorism issues. Call the COHELP line at(1-877-462-2911) to speak to an individual regarding questions or concerns.
Public Health provides a broad range of services that are primarily funded through grants and private donations. Some services have specific qualifications such as income while other services do not have income criteria. Some services have a low fee while others do not. Due to the fluctuation in funding, it is advised to contact our office for the most current status of each offering at 970-641-0209.
- Birth and Death Certificates
- Family Planning and Reproductive Health
- Emergency Contraception
- Women’s Wellness Connection
- Nurse Family Partnership
- Senior Resources
- Multicultural Services
- Access to Health Care (Light Program)
- Tobacco Prevention
- Emergency Preparedness
- Nurturing Parenting Program
- Early Childhood Council
- Childcare Health Consultation
- Worksite Wellness
- Health Care Program for Children with Special Needs (HCP)
- Disease Surveillance and Investigations of Reportable Communicable Conditions
- TB screening and follow up
- Restaurant Inspections and consumer protection consultation
- Information and Referral to other community services
- Tuesdays in Gunnison
- First Wednesday of each month in Crested Butte
To set up an appointment call 970-641-0209.
Mental Health Services
The Center for Mental Health serves the 10,000 square miles of Delta, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Montrose, Ouray, and San Miguel counties with the following services:
- Individual Therapy for All Ages
- Group Therapy
- Medication Management
- Substance Use Disorder Therapy
- Peer Services
- 24-hour, No-Cost Emergency Services
- Suicide Prevention Education and Training
- Integrated Services
- Support Groups
For 24/7 crisis service, please call 970-252-6220 or 911. To speak to a non-emergency client representative, call 970.252.3213. The Center for Mental Health is located at 710 N. Taylor St. in Gunnison.
There are several options for vision care in Gunnison.
- Abba Eye Care – 420 N Main St, Gunnison, CO 81230
- Family Vision Center– 302 W Tomichi Ave, Gunnison, CO 81230
- Gunnison Valley Health – 711 N . Taylor Street, Gunnison, CO 81230
There are providers in both ends of the Gunnison Valley offering excellent dental care. They also coordinate with regional specialists to refer individuals needing more advanced care.
Gunnison Dental Care
- Gunnison Family Dentistry – 970-641-3406
- Gentle Dental Care-970-641-4200
- Osborne Family Dentistry – 970-641-3004
- Schmidt, John DDS – 970-641-3347
- Healthy Smiles Dental Hygiene – 970-642-0338
- Pierson, Shelly – 970-641-3347
- Southall, Todd DDS – 970-641-3406
- Alexander Orthodontics – 970-641-4441
Crested Butte Dental Care
- Crested Butte Family Dental – 970-349-5880
- Roxanne Siegrist, DDS – 970-349-5577
- Dr. Shawn Harvey, DDS – 970-349-5731
- Brighter Image Dental Hygiene – 970-275-5000
- Sunny Smile Dental Hygiene – 970-3497092
Due to the small size of our community and many of the employers here, lots of people in the Gunnison Valley are covered through individual private insurance. Connect for Health Colorado is the state health insurance exchange.
If you currently have health insurance through your employer and you’re considering leaving your job to start a new business, we recommend checking out the page about when you can enroll.
If you’re moving from out of state, we recommend starting on Connect for Health Colorado and learning about the insurance options available to you in the Gunnison Valley.
Local Insurance Agents
If you’d prefer to work with a local agent to find the right coverage for you, the companies below offer health insurance coverage in the Gunnison Valley.
- Shondeck Financial Services & Insurance
- Mountain West Insurance & Financial Services
- Rich Almgren – State Farm Insurance Agent
- Strategic Healthplan Consulting
Crested Butte/Gunnison Wellbeing Connection
A group of wellness practitioners across the whole health and wellbeing spectrum have come together in the Gunnison Valley to form the Crested Butte/Gunnison Wellbeing Connection. They have a goal of expanding awareness of the wellbeing support in the Gunnison Valley.
Their website offers a directory of practitioners sorted by category.