U.S. Highway 50 is the major, all-weather principal highway that leads into the Gunnison Valley. It passes through Montrose before connecting with Interstate 70 in Grand Junction, 126 miles to the west. It connects with Interstate 25 in Pueblo, 150 miles to the east. Both interstates lead to major cities, including Denver and Salt Lake City, Utah, where you will find the closest major international airports.
The Gunnison Valley has the Gunnison-Crested Butte Regional Airport (GUC) with non-stop air service to Denver year-round on United. United also flies seasonal non-stop air service from GUC to Houston, Texas in the summer and winter. American operates a non-stop flight schedule during the winter to Dallas, Texas.
For the most recent flight schedules you can peruse GunnisonCrestedButte.com’s Getting Here page.
Can’t find the flight you need through Gunnison-Crested Butte? These are the other nearest airports with drive times:
Directions from Denver International Airport to Crested Butte
- Take Pena Boulevard towards 1-70
- After 11 miles merge onto 1-70 West
- Stay on I-70W through Denver (24 miles)
- Take Exit 260 onto CO-470 East
- After 5 miles take the exit for US 285 South towards Fairplay
- Stay on US 285 South until you reach the outskirts of Buena Vista
- Turn left to stay on US 285 South for another 21 miles
- Turn right onto US 50 West
- Arrive in Gunnison after 60 miles
- To reach Crested Butte turn right at CO-135 North and continue for 28 miles
Directions from Montrose Regional Airport to Crested Butte
- Turn left out of the airport onto US 50 East
- Follow US 50E for 60 miles to reach Gunnison
- Turn left on CO-135 North and continue for 28 miles to reach Crested Butte
Directions from Colorado Springs Airport to Crested Butte
- Take the Milton E. Proby Parkway to S. Academy Boulevard
- Take the exit for CO-115 South
- After 30 miles take the exit for US 50 West in the town of Penrose
- Stay on US 50 West for 130 miles to reach Gunnison
- Turn right on CO-135 North and continue for 28 miles to reach Crested Butte
Summer Directions from Grand Junction Regional Airport to Crested Butte
- Follow signs on Horizon Dr. to I-70 East
- Take Exit 37 for I-70 Business West towards Clifton/Delta
- After 1 mile turn left onto CO-141 South/32 Rd.
- After 5 miles turn left onto US 50 East
- After 32 miles reach the town of Delta and turn left onto CO-92 East
- In the town of Hotchkiss stay straight to get onto CO-133 North
- Turn left onto County Rd. 12/Kebler Pass Rd. after 23.5 miles
- Stay on Kebler Pass Rd. for 31 miles to reach Crested Butte
Delivery and Freight
If shipping your product is your concern, don’t fear. All the usual suspects operate in Gunnison Valley, including UPS, FedEx and DHL, as well as RAC Transport, which offers delivery services exclusively throughout Western Colorado.
Various freight options are available from the following transport agencies:
601 S Boulevard St, Gunnison, CO 81230
- Industrial equipment
- Office equipment
- Palletized items
- Less-than-truck-load (LTL)
- Domestic air cargo
- Less-than-container-load (LCL)
- Expedited freight
- Deferred, economy freight
- Household Goods
FedX Ground Hub
49 Basin Park Dr
UPS Ground Hub
918 W San Juan Ave A
United States Postal Service
200 N Wisconsin St, Gunnison, CO 81230
Regional Terminals are available in Salida and Montrose with service to the Gunnison Valley.
Railroad & Port
Service is available out of Delta, CO. Learn more at Delta County Economic Development Alliance.
Government Assistance & Educational Resources for Manufacturing
Access to the Small Manufacturer’s Association and Manufacturer’s Edge is available through the West Central Small Business Development Center office. Sign up for services at here and the team can assist you with direct consulting for manufacturing issues and connection to resources available through the State of Colorado.
The Gunnison Valley offers superior public transit. Gunnison Valley RTA and Crested Butte Mt. Express buses run regular schedules throughout the year, and best of all, both are free.
Gunnison Valley RTA
Gunnison Valley RTA runs a loop through the City of Gunnison before heading to Crested Butte and Mt. Crested Butte. It makes several stops along Highway 135, the main artery through the Valley, along the way. They run winter, summer, and spring/fall schedules that can be viewed on their site. While the schedule may change depending on the date, the stops remain the same.
The Mountain Express
The Mountain Express serves the north end of the valley with free regular bus service between Mt. Crested Butte and the Town of Crested Butte. They also offer several other routes depending on the season:
- Winter route to Crested Butte South
- Summer route to Gothic and Snodgrass Trailhead
- Winter routes to Mt. Crested Butte condo units and the Snodgrass Trailhead
Internet & Telecommunications
Depending on location, local and regional internet providers offer a full array of packages to suite any business needs: DSL, cable, satellite and more.
Location is essential for quality cell coverage. Depending on location, connectivity tends to differ from carrier to carrier. As expected, cell coverage improves closer to population and tourism bases throughout the valley. Farther away from the major population and tourism bases, cell service may weaken.